Learning to Rhyme through play
Rhyming is a key skill when learning to read. This simple card games helps children to find and pair rhyming sounds.
Using cvc words (cvc = consonant, vowel, consonant) makes it easy for children to read, spell and rhyme!
The 'a' words provide the simplest vowel version of this game because there are 8 of each rhyming sounds, so it is relatively easy to find a rhyming pair.
There are sheets for e, i o and u also. Some of these are slightly more challenging as there are fewer rhyming pairs.
This is a downloadable game.
- Simply print off 2 sets of the cards (preferably on light card) and cut out each card.
- Choose between the gray/grey or colored/coloured versions.
- To help younger children or beginners with learning to rhyme, you can use the color-coded version.
Playing the Rhyming game:
- Deal out 7 cards to each child. Place the remaining cards face down.
Each child examines their hand and if they have a rhyming pair, they place them down in front of them face up.
- If they don't have a rhyming pair, they must take a card from the deck. The turn passes to the next player
- Continue until all the cards have been used.
- The child with most rhyming pairs is the winner!
For even more Rhyming FUN!
Why not download the full set of all 5 vowel versions of this game!